Thursday, October 22, 2015

Recovery

Recently, I served as a mock interviewer for middle school students preparing for a selective high school admissions process. All of the students were articulate, bright, and warm. One factor that set some of them apart was that when they would say the wrong thing, or go off topic, some got frazzled, stressed, or otherwise called attention to their slip-up. Others, when they noticed that something was going wrong, made a simple statement like, “Oh, before I tell you that, I should probably say…” or “That’s not what I meant. What I meant was…” In giving feedback to these students, I found myself repeating something I’ve been sharing with coaching clients for some time. It sounds something like, “Everyone is going to mess up some time – use the wrong word or forget to say what they’d planned to.  Perfection isn’t the goal. What’s more important is that you master the skill of recovery.” Of course this applies more broadly than to interviewing. We’ll make mistakes as we go through life: That’s not what matters. What matters is how we elegantly dust ourselves off and correct our course. How we learn from our mistakes, clean up any damage, or find another route to success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment