Monday, July 4, 2011

The return of Full Experience Coaching Newsletter… as a blog

Dear Readers,

Earlier this week I had an a-ha moment. I thought to myself – I don’t need to be making my living as a coach in order to write a coaching newsletter!  Because I’ve missed writing it, and I’ve missed being in communication with you – my former clients, supporters and friends. And even though I’m settled in to a terrific new life in a new City with a new job, it doesn’t mean I can’t write the newsletter anyway.

It got me thinking about how we lump certain things together in our minds, and about how we can get into a rut thinking we can’t do or have one thing without doing or having another. Another way to phrase this is how an eloquent client of mine did in a conversation that took place over two years ago. He said, “Don’t let the fulfillment of one dream depend on the fulfillment of another.”

So this issue, my first issue of Full Experience Coaching Newsletter in almost two years, is devoted to the topic of separation – of tearing apart things that aren’t serving you well taken together. I’ve torn apart the belief that I have to be running Full Experience Coaching as a business in order to be writing a Full Experience Coaching newsletter – and I hope you’re as happy I did that as I am!

For those of you new to this publication, welcome! In each issue, I share a theme, a related coaching exercise, some quotations (connected to, or, as in this case, completely unconnected to, the theme), and sometimes book recommendations, thoughts from other readers, etc. Enjoy!

Best,
~ Sophie

*

COACHING EXERCISE: Separation
What are two things that you have linked together in your mind that, when you really think about it, don’t need to go together?

Do you believe that without cleaning your house you can't invite guests over? That without a stable job, you can’t find a partner? That without the perfect body you can’t buy the perfect outfit? That until you take singing lessons, you shouldn’t join the community chorus?

For this coaching exercise, just identify any of these linked beliefs to determine if they are serving you well as a pair. If not, I challenge you to try to separate the beliefs and to see what happens for you – what becomes possible for you – when you do. I'd love to hear your results!

*

QUOTATIONS
“The world is ruled by letting things take their course.” ~ Lao-Tzu

“I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.” ~ Helen Keller


“Have good trust in yourself -- not in the One that you think you should be, but in the One that you are.” ~ Maezumi Roshi

1 comment:

  1. Good point - I certainly DO have things that I think must go together that...really mustn't.
    Welcome back - keep it comin'! :) K

    ReplyDelete