Friday, July 29, 2011

Express Yourself

I am really enjoying having a blog, and not just because I like to write and this gives me a regular venue to do that; but because knowing that I have a blog has helped me become more aware and present on a day-to-day basis. I find myself paying more attention to my interactions so I can see if they contain any interesting threads to write about. I think more about what certain interactions mean. I have to realize on which topics I want to take a stand or make a statement. It’s also nice to put my thoughts out in to the world and to know that some people are helped by them.

I’m not suggesting that everybody start a blog. But I am devoting this post to the idea of putting your thoughts out in to the world and seeing what rewards it produces for you. 

All the best,
~ Sophie

COACHING EXERCISES

In the spirit of sharing your perspective with others – in whatever format you choose to do so – here are some coaching exercises I suggest:
  •          Listen to some “This I Believe” essays at www.thisibelieve.org. Get inspired to write your own “This I Believe” essay and share it with someone.
  •          Write an editorial or a letter to the editor.
  •          Call a politician about an issue that matters to you, or call a business about your experience with them – positive or negative.  If you can’t call, write.
  •          Have a “soap box” party. Invite a few people over and tell them that they will each have five minutes of uninterrupted “air time” to share whatever they want to / whatever they feel strongly about. (I’ve never done anything like this myself, but am very intrigued by the idea. I’d love to hear what you do with this one!)
  •          The next time you find yourself holding a thought in, consider how that is serving you, and then choose whether or not to continue to hold on to it, or to speak up.

Whichever of these ideas you might choose to do, remember to notice how doing it feels and what benefits it produces.

QUOTES I LIKE RIGHT NOW:

“Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow.  ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros (I can’t figure out who this person is – It seems she might be a contemporary portrait photographer. Let me know if you are familiar with her…)

"Don't look where you fall, but where you slipped" - African Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment