Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Teenager on Procrastination

This post is my 14-year old’s explanation of his new approach to procrastination (that he adapted from an article he read on the Internet):

“With everyday tasks, you’ll assign pleasure to some and pain to others.  Procrastination is generally caused by people attaching pain to certain things and then wanting to avoid pain. The trick is to try to attach pleasure to the things you don’t like to do. This can be a reward, or anything that makes you happy for that matter. An example of mine is doing my homework. Homework is normally something people attach pain to and I found a way to attach pleasure to it through being able to say, ‘I’m done with my work. I have free time now to do what I want.’ So now this painful task creates pleasure – free time for me.”

What do you assign pain to? What pleasure can you assign to that activity instead?  Does doing that help you get to it any faster?

Good luck,
~ Sophie
  • “It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
  • “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” ~ Pablo Picasso



No comments:

Post a Comment