Monday, December 24, 2012

Secrets of Adulthood

Once or twice a year, I like to read a pop culture book that might inform my coaching. This time it’s Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project.

I’m barely into it, but I found an exercise she mentions in her introductory chapter to be intriguing. She called it her “Secrets of Adulthood,” or, a list of the lessons she’d learned with some difficulty as she’d grown up. Some items on the list were profound; others simple and quirky. But, her list inspired me to share my own (or a portion of my own, as mine stretched to about two-and-a-half pages). It was fun to create, so I suggest it as the coaching exercise for this post. And I’d love to see your lists!  Here’s mine (though the first two items did come from the book)…
  • People don’t notice your mistakes as much as you think
  • Most decisions don’t require extensive research
  • If it’s always put away in the same place, you’ll always find it there
  • The only person you can change is yourself
  • Saying “no” is liberating
  • Perception is reality
  • The tough conversations are the ones with the greatest potential for growth and to deepen relationships
  • When there’s a lack of communication or transparency, people will start communicating the worst scenario
  • There’s always another side to the story
  • It does make the whole bedroom appear cleaner if you just make the bed
  • Just because it already exists doesn’t mean you can’t do it better
  • Rather than setting out to change your life, try a tiny experiment for a discrete period of time
  • If you’re wide awake in the middle of the night, embrace it, don’t fight it
  • The journey may be more enjoyable than the destination
  • Horizontal is a pile; vertical is a file
  • When you "act as if," your behavior just may change the way you think and feel
  • People sense desperation
  • You can't control your situation, only your reaction to it
  • Feedback is a gift
  • You’re more likely to act on a goal you state publically

Don’t know what to say about the fact that so many of my secrets have to do with housecleaning and organization. I guess it just reveals how anal I am! What does your list say about you?

Happy New Year!
~ Sophie

TWO QUOTES I LIKE FROM THE HAPPINESS PROJECT, “GETTING STARTED”

  • “What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner!” ~ Colette, author
  • “We must exercise ourselves in the things which bring us happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed toward attaining it.” ~ Epicurus, philosopher

No comments:

Post a Comment