Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'm here

Sometimes I think the greatest value I provide as a Coach is simply being in the room. Clients often work out their issues just because someone is there for them - paying attention, listening.

The power of being there for someone else is tremendous. A speaker I heard recently told of a terrible car accident he'd been in. When he awoke in a hospital bed, he couldn't move or speak. But he could see his wife. And what she said to him was simply, "I'm here." He said it gave him the will to heal.

"I'm here" means I'm not going anywhere: No matter what you do or what you tell me, I'm sticking around. It means whatever is happening in the world around us, I am choosing to be here with you. It affirms your faith in someone else. It also releases you from having to know the answer or solve the problem; all you have to do is show up. Even when you are by yourself, "I'm here" means you are present and in the moment. Like I said, pretty powerful.

Through this post's coaching exercise, I hope you will experience the power of showing up for yourself.

All the best,
~ Sophie

COACHING EXERCISE
As a coaching exercise, I suggest you try using the expression, "I'm here." Use it with someone else who needs you - someone you see every day, or someone you haven't connected with in a long time. Or use it on your own as a reminder to notice where you are and what is happening around you. Use it and mean it and, if you're willing, let me know how it goes.

QUOTES I LIKE RIGHT NOW
"I am here simply to make you alert and aware. That is to be here now - with all the insecurity that life is; with all the uncertainty that life is; with all the danger that life is." ~ Bhagwan Shree Raineesh, Indian spiritual leader, 1931-1990


No comments:

Post a Comment